Don't delay to get your pet the treatment they need!
With reports of adder sightings already racking up, make sure you know how to spot the signs of an adder bite and what to do if the worst happens to your beloved pooch.
How to tell if your dog has been bitten:
- There will be localised, painful swelling
- Two puncture marks in the centre of the swelling
- Can result in breathing difficulties
- Other symptoms may include drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and drowsiness
If you pet starts to show any of these signs, urgent veterinary treatment is required and the following tips can help reduce your pets pain:
- Keep your pet as still as possible - carry them if possible to prevent the spread of the venom
- Bathe the wound in cold water to reduce the swelling
- Get your dog to the vet for treatment
It is also recommended that you keep up to date with any dog-walking news for reported "adder hotspots" to avoid when walking your dog during the warmer months as the venomous snakes come out of hibernation.
Healthy Pets Insurance is quite possibly the original online pet insurer, launched in 1996, and which sold its first policies online in 1997, a year before Google was founded. It now has tens of thousands of customers, and policy purchases increasing fast. Healthy Pets Insurance, now part of the Ardonagh Insurance group of Companies, is a specialist pet insurance company. It consistently offers the most competitive prices, and has amongst the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the sector.