It was macho hounds, and then it was designer pooches such as Pugs, but cats have quietly become the four-legged single bloke must-have.
"Weve seen this steadily developing, because single blokes seem to quite like the company around the house but dont have the time or commitment for a dog. However, those completely new to the world of cats need some guidance - theres a great deal of truth in the line that dogs have owners and cats have staff, as theyll discover," said Mark Effenberg, Chief Executive of Healthy Pets Insurance
Marks team, all pet owners, have come up with some guidance and expectation-setting for new cat owners.
- Make sure your new cat knows whos boss - and then accept your status.
- Cats have attitude, or appear to. You summon a dog, it charges at you. A cat manages to communicate "Ill get back to you on that" and may eventually wander over on his terms.
- However, when it suits them, cats will summon you. Their meeoww pitch is very similar to that of a human baby, in turn a pitch aimed at provoking adult human compliance for food provision, door opening, preparation of snooze areas, or getting you off the chair he wants to sleep on because youve warmed it up.
- However, generally, you are there to be slept on.
- A cat will disappear for hours on end, often hidden within feet of you. They may be independent, but woe-betide the bloke who turns up five hours late without having made feeding provision. Your cat will go find a snack, and likely leave the innards in the middle of your duvet.
- And consider getting a rescue cat. A new kitten is potentially every blokes nightmare of shredded clothes, curtains, two-day disappearances behind kitchen appliances, and can make a high-maintenance girlfriend seem like the easiest companion in the world. On the other hand, it could be the conversation-opener or the deal-sealer with the babe on the train...
Healthy Pets, an award winning online insurer, is the biggest independent pet insurance provider in the UK, focussing exclusively on cat insurance and dog insurance. It consistently offers the most competitive prices, and has amongst the highest customer satisfaction ratings. It has recently been award a Moneyfacts Five Star Rating for both cat and dog insurance.